Location: Home  Community Forums  Feedback  [Feedback] Awards button 
[Feedback] Awards button
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  3 Observers
[Feedback] Awards button  
I just accidentally rewarded the map Airburst. I hate the map and because I am quite new to tmx I was not aware how the award system works. I figured it would work similar to reddit so I wanted to see if among the kinds of awards there is one which can express my hate for the map. Well now I have accidentally awarded the map.

Please make it possible to remove the award that you gave just like you can remove the like on a Youtube video. It would also be nice if there was something like a dislike would help with telling the difference between good maps that just have few players (awards) and bad maps.

A 24h grace period for removing mistaken awards would be nice. But the ability to freely remove awards could lead to some abuse. I bet site mods don't allow removing awards exactly for this reason.

... says:
help with telling the difference between good maps that just have few players (awards) and bad maps.

People have different tastes, a rating system with just a few voters for most maps would be just as useless as the current award system. You can try to add to favorite map creators whose maps you usually like. The best ways I found to tell if a map is good is to look at the thumbnail and check if the replays and/or online records are consistently close, which means that some people enjoyed playing it enough to grind it for a bit.

What could help, imo, is to require the awarder to have uploaded a replay to the site or have any time recorded on trackmania.io. BOTW has plenty of maps that look great on video but are terrible to play (bad flow, buggy transitions, etc), some maps have >30 awards while their in-game records list is almost empty :(

Thanks for taking time to write feedback here.

You can remove your own award within 60 seconds of awarding the map, as long as you don't refresh the page. This makes it easy to remove accidental awards.

We don't allow users to remove their own awards, because this would be unfair to the mapper and it would unfairly influence the entire system over time. Players are often fickle with their tastes, and many would go back to unaward maps as their style preferences changed over the years.

It's better for the awarding system to be a snapshot of a track's popularity at the time it came out, and as people have discovered the map again in the time since then.

We also don't have any sort of negative feedback on tracks in the form of downvotes. If you want to give constructive feedback to a mapper, you're welcome to do that in the comments, as long as it's done in a kind way.

We've been using this system for nearly 20 years. It may not match the UX of other social media sites, but it has served us well, and we'll be staying with it for the foreseeable future.

Mortex says:
What could help, imo, is to require the awarder to have uploaded a replay to the site or have any time recorded on trackmania.io. BOTW has plenty of maps that look great on video but are terrible to play (bad flow, buggy transitions, etc), some maps have >30 awards while their in-game records list is almost empty :(

This is an interesting idea, which I've seen several people mention over the years.

The problem is, awarding was already in decline when we decided to add One Click Awards. OCAs have helped increase the amount of participation on the sites, since it was introduced.

But adding a restriction requiring players to upload a replay first would probably only serve to be another barrier for players and one more hoop they have to jump through before awarding. I fear it would drop participation again.

So while I wouldn't say we'll never do that, I'd be very worried about such a restriction being added.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply