Location: Home  Community Forums  Feedback  could you please make another server that is just for fun, a... 
could you please make another server that is just for fun, and not totd/cotd?
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  3 Observers
could you please make another server that is just for fun, and not totd/cotd?  
To Whom It May Concern:

I've been playing some version of Trackmania since around 2009. Possibly earlier. TMUF was the one I spent a lot of time on back in the day.

Then my stepson, who I'd played a lot of my old maps with, told me that last summer that there was a new version of TM out. So I bought it. And immediately got right back into making maps and playing pretty much every night, as I had back in 2009-2012. Good times.

The blocks were a little different, and I was way out of practice, so a lot of the early maps I uploaded were pretty crappy. But I always tried to have an element of creativity or humor or something to make the fact that my map wasn't very polished seem less of an issue because it was fun.

And for the most part, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from most of the people who race the maps I've uploaded in the past 4 months. Probably made 200+ maps in that time. I don't bother uploading a lot of them obviously because they are mostly ideas. But if I like a map/route, I decorate it a little and upload it so other people can play it and I can get some feedback.

Now as I said, most of that feedback has been positive. And I'm not talking about how the maps rate on the 0-5 scale. The feedback itself was positive. Not necessarily the ratings. And that's fine. The actual stuff people said in the chat has been largely positive, even when criticizing.

But there is a group of people who feel the need to only focus on the negative, and use a very negative tone in doing so.

In my opinion there is no need for that. And because of the positivity of most of the feedback others give (and I try to do the same), these people stick out like a sore thumb.

Instead of saying, "I like X and Y, but Z needs some work", they'll say: "Z sucks so bad....".

And I usually brush it off. I've been on the internet long enough to know that behind an anonymous keyboard anyone can say whatever they want without repercussion. And that shows you what kind of person they are. And it's frustrating, to spend 5 hours on a map, and the first person who comments says, "Z sucks so bad". But you just chalk it up to, "well, that guy obviously doesn't care about encouraging people. why would I listen to him?".

But in the process of getting better and better at map design, and learning what people want more of and what they DON'T want more of, I've tailored my style of wanting to be creative and unique and/or humorous to making sure that the MEAT of the track is what people seem to want. Not too fast. Not too slow. Not too creative. Not too boring. And I like to think I've actually improved at this.

But it seems like the more I improve -- the closer I get to making maps that I think people will almost universally enjoy -- the worse the negative people get.

And so in the past week I've run into a wall. Apparently there is some unwritten rule book about uploading maps for people to play. Here's what I've learned engaging what I would call 'trolls' in the past week:

1. uploading is ONLY for people who are offering their maps for consideration for TOTD or COTD -- meaning, if you're not trying for either, don't bother uploading your map

2. you should NOT PLAY your map while other people are playing it -- you should only spectate.

3. you are NOT allowed to react with even a small amount of negativity or sarcasm, no matter how utterly devoid of constructive criticism someone's comments are (?)

Firstly, I'd like to know where these rules about etiquette are posted. I'd like to read them so I can finally understand why certain people are reacting to me and my maps this way (despite probably 90% of the interactions I've had being very positive).

And secondly, if uploading is truly ONLY for people who are uploading their maps for consideration for TOTD and/or COTD, could you please make another server for people who are only uploading maps to play with other people who just want to race for fun?

I have always tried to be very supportive of anyone uploading a map. If there is something I like about it, I say so. If there is something I do NOT like about it, unless I feel I can tell them in a constructive, positive way -- I keep my mouth shut.

That's what the ratings are for. But even then, if I haven't raced their map for a full 3 minutes, or I feel like I'm just not good enough to race it the way it was designed I just don't rate it. And I almost always try to be 'nice' when rating. If I want to rate something a 2, at the last second I'll probably change it to a 3. And that's just me. Not suggesting everyone do that.

But it'd be nice if everyone in the community treated everyone with respect and consideration.

That said, it seems the very fact that the only way to get people to race your maps is by uploading them for TOTD/COTD contention means that certain people are always going to be treating new maps as suspect and find them wanting in some way unless they are 90% ready for prime time.

If there was a server called JUST FOR FUN, then perhaps people could do what I thought I was supposed to be doing all this time -- making maps and uploading them for people to race, and then trying their maps too -- for FUN!

And maybe there would be less sticklers who say things like, "why are mappers racing their own maps?". Heh???? "You're supposed to spectate to see if other people understand your map!". Okay, but I just spent 5 hours racing/testing it. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of all the areas people are going to have problems with, and have adjusted the map accordingly - to have just the right amount of confusion for a new player.

You see what I'm getting at?

Now, I had someone today suggest that I make a club or something and try my maps out there. I know how to make a club. I don't know how to get people to play any maps I put in there.

So, could you please make another server that is just for fun, so people can upload maps and race without sticklers judging them according to the nebulous guidelines for TOTD/COTD?

Because what really chaps my ass when people troll me -- if I'm being honest? Probably 60% of the maps I play in the TOTD/COTD contention are either broken or confusing as hell, or lacking in signs, or any number of other things that I try to eliminate in any map I upload.

So, I see the comments that roll in on THOSE maps, from the same people crapping on my maps, and it really makes me wonder why, when so many top players are able to RAPE my author time on their first few tries. Obviously my maps isn't THAT confusing/dumb/lacking in signs/et cetera... If THOSE guys can do it, why can't YOU?

And that's what I'm going for... I know I'm not an elite racer. But I like designing maps that:

A) noobs like me can race to completion
B) really great racers can be entertained and get great times on

So, why are maps that fall well short getting about the same amount of negative feedback as my own?

I think it's because they're being really nice to the people who suck, and being overly harsh on the people who are a bit better.

That's why I think, me, and a lot of other people making maps (FOR FUN) need a server of their own.

Let the purists judge the other purists. Let the rest of us just enjoy playing the goddamn game.

Thanks,

jackulator9000

Yeah I think those are mostly valid complaints.
What do you think of the idea of creating a map review in the TrackmaniaExchange club where the votes specifically mean nothing so all the focus is just on playing tracks?

I'm not sure if you were addressing me or the moderators, but personally I'd rather not have my maps rated at all than have to deal with people ragging on me because they don't meet some obscure standard that isn't codified anywhere. In other words, what I thought the track upload was for all these years -- a place for people to upload/play each other's maps. That'd be fine with me.

Well, I was responding to your comments with a possible suggestion. I agree that the goal for a "Map Review" alternative would be without needing the rating system. As it stands though, it would be reasonably simple for the mods to set up a map review in the TMX club where the ratings would still exist but they would be private and not used for anything.

Yeah that sounds bang on to me. Thank you :)
I've just about had it.  
I can't tell you how many maps I've played where there was little to no actual design to the track. In a variety of ways.

I've spent HUNDREDS of hours on my own maps, and (I'm guessing) because they are somewhat close to TOTD/COTD material, I get the harshest response because they're not actually up to TOTD/COTD 'caliber'...

I have to eat a lot of shit. Have people telling me I'm 'hogging' the upload system, even when there isn't a map in the queue.

I'm proud of what I've created. I've asked for there to be an alternate setup for people who are less concerned about TOTD!!! COTD!!! and more just about being fun and creative. I tag all my maps with [JFF], and tell people it means 'Just for fun'...

Doesn't matter.

How can so many shit ass maps make it past this level of derisiveness when my maps are clearly at least making an attempt to be ENTERTAINING?

Not to say that the noobs making simplistic bad maps with noob errors aren't trying their best as well.. But wtaf?

I'm just about ready to throw in the goddamn towel here.

There NEEDS to be a place where people who aren't trying to get map of the day can share and play each other's maps without assholes telling them their shit is whack...

It really gets old after a while.

Fuck it. I'm done.

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me.

I have better things to do with my time than make shit that I think people will enjoy and get shit on.

L8z....

skybaxrider»UD says:
As it stands though, it would be reasonably simple for the mods to set up a map review in the TMX club where the ratings would still exist but they would be private and not used for anything.

We did this some months ago. I forget to play there though. I wonder how many people use it. :d
Site Leader
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply